Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Knowledge is Power

Strength #2: Learner

My Learner strength is really what caused this whole blog thing to be started.  In my post How Strong are You?  I talked about my need to learn new things and how it's started to play out in my job.  But I want to think about this a little deeper.

This is what Strengths Finder 2.0 says about the Learner strength, "You love to learn...The process, more than the content or the result, is especially exciting for you." I really find this true.  I really miss school.  Like I mentioned in my belief post, I do value my education, however, it was more the actual act of learning things, sitting in class and being fed information that I miss.  It has taken me a while to accept this strength of mine for what it truly is, learning.  (I guess that's why growing up in a town who's name means "The Love of Learning" was so exciting for me!) 

Being a learner, I have picked up many hobbies and interests, which in-and-of itself is quite expensive, but very rewarding.  I like the mental challenge of learning new things.  Perhaps that's why when I was in high school I chose some of the most technical track events: pole vault, high jump, triple jump and hurdles.  Each of these required learning more than just "move your legs to propel you around the track."  They required hours of honing my technique and skills in order to compete at a level I felt good about.  Maybe that's why Cross Country (while I had been running XC since I was in 5th grade) by the end of my senior year was no longer exciting for me; I felt as if I had learned everything there was to learn about the sport.  You run and try to pass the person in front of you, not much to learn about that. 

Learning has been a big part of my life in general, as I'm sure you can tell.  I have realized that my desire to learn is no longer being fulfilled through school, so I need to cultivate it in my own time, and by disregarding my yearning to learn only plays this strength of mine against myself.  When I'm not learning new things I feel like a bump on log and lazy.

My learning has been showing itself at work a lot lately.  I've been learning how to work in an office, reading books about having an effective ministry, dealing with issues among coworkers, and spiritual things too.  It's been great! 

Here is the downside to being a learner...often times its just learning that is exciting, not always the follow through on what I've learned.  A strength that I don't have in my top five that I wish I did is the Maximizer.  Maximizers want things done the best they can be...I sometimes settle for mediocrity.  I learn things but I don't always apply them to the fullest that they could be.

I have found that being partnered with someone who is a Maximizer is a great way to help with this though.  One of my co-workers is a Maximizer and I love working with her because together we learn and maximize lots of things!

Do you enjoy learning?  
How do you see my learning played out my life?
Do you have any suggestions for things I should learn more about?

No comments:

Post a Comment