Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Just for the "Run" of it

I've started running again.  Mostly just because I've been feeling very out of shape lately and I want to make sure that I stay in great shape so that when the weather gets nicer I can do things like go for a hike, and I want to be able to have the endurance to surf...A LOT! :-)

So, while I run I often think of a lot of different things, but today it was a little bit different.  Since I got out of High School and got an mp3 player (No, I don't have an ipod, itouch or anything that begins with an i) I haven't really run without some sort of music playing.  Don't get me wrong...I LOVE running to music.  It's one of the reasons that I would rather run by myself, because that way I'm not ignoring the person I'm running with.  But now that I have a smart phone this has transformed into Pandora playing while I run, which gives me a nice mix of all kinds of music.  Not only do I have music but I also have a GPS that tracks how long and how fast I run.  Before I would have to time myself, then get home and map it myself to find out average pace. 

Today while I was running I changed a setting in my running app.  I had my app, RunKeeper, say when I reached each mile of my run.  Well, this caused Pandora to stop playing, so after a mile and a half I lost music. At first I was really annoyed, but then I started to like it.  Without music all I heard was my breathing and the birds, which helped me to quiet my mind a little bit and think.  It's really hard to run for both fun and a good workout, at least for me anyway.  I ran longer and faster today that I have in quite a while.  But I had to choose, do I want to know how far I'm running or listen to music. 

I really enjoyed running without music again.  I often forget to quiet my mind and just relax and reflect on what the Lord is teaching me.  I've got to remember to His faithfulness and goodness.  God invented running! :-)

So, we'll see if this actually happens, but I'm thinking about trying to run the Portland Marathon in October.  But for now these are my accomplishments:

The 5K Badge from Foursquare
You can click the link under the badge to read more about it. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I once heard that you can tell if someone is a deep thinker if they do mundane things (like running) without music.

    And as my dad said while recovering in the hospital: "Running will kill ya. But that aint gonna stop me."

    ReplyDelete