Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Potentially There Is Potential


Strength #5: Developer

"You can do it!" Those are words that can either be encouraging or frustrating, and I say them all the time (or at least something like it), or do I?  My fifth strength is called "Developer" which basically means that I like to encourage people to find their potential and try to help them improve.  There are defiantly times where I can see this happening, but unlike my other strengths this was the one I had the most trouble accepting at first.

When I first saw that I was a "Developer" I didn't even know what that meant.  I was very confused by it, because I still think that I'm working on this strength.  It wasn't until I read the personal insights about developer that it began to make some sense.  My developer strength is one of the main reasons I worked in youth at my church and why I enjoy spending time with my discipleship group, I like it when people grow!

What better place for me to work than an organization that is shaped around seeing people develop and grow in their walk with Jesus!  But like I said, while this is a strength, I think it's one I'm still developing (yes, I'm developing my developer strength).  Here is what I mean:

I get excited when people grow and learn, it helps me get energized, but at the same time I don't think I'm all that good at it!  There is a big downside to this strength, I often forget to include myself in those I want to see grow; I become OK with being stagnate.  I'm in a constant tension of not feeling like I'm growing and at the same time being excited about others getting stronger.  The book Strengths Finders 2.0 suggest that people with a Developer strength find themselves a mentor to help them in their development.  I'm working on finding someone to come alongside me too, to help me grow in my strengths and abilities so that I can better equip those that I'm invested in.

Do you get energized when you see others succeeded and grow? Maybe you're a developer too? Have you ever thought of coming alongside someone to help and encourage them as they learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment