Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Off Key, but In Harmony?


Strength #4: Harmony

No, I don't sing well and if I try to pick out a harmony in a song I quite often fail miserably at it; I'm talking about a different type of harmony.  I've heard that the third child is often the peacemaker in a family...or maybe I made that up because I'm a third child and like to keep the peace.  Whatever the case, it is one of my strengths, to create harmony.  According to Strengths Finder 2.0 when you have high harmony, "You look for areas of agreement.  In your view there is little to be gained from conflict and friction, so you seek to hold them to a minimum." 

When I first saw this come up in my top 5 strengths I was convinced that that fully understood what they were talking about.  I don't like to be the one to make waves, and I hate it when people get upset, especially at me.  But then when I read more about the Harmony strength I realized there is a lot more to it than just relating with others in conflict.  I want there to be harmony in my work too; not just with the people but with how I accomplish tasks.

I appreciate it when tasks and work load makes sense; when it has a starting and an ending and defined steps along the way.  It makes me feel comfortable when I know what I'm supposed to do and how to do it.  That is why when I have questions I ask people who know how to do things, that are smarter than me, or have done it before.  It is refreshing to me that I can follow a step-by-step plan for things. 

One aspect of harmony is I hate putting myself in situations that may cause conflict.  I think that this is why going out on campus to share my faith has always been so hard for me.  I don't want to make people feel upset.  However at the same time, it helps me, because I want to make sure that they know that they are heard.  It's a really tough place.

So, a final though...this is why when I was in college and was in a Market Research class that required us to make cold calls for a phone survey I HATED doing it!  I didn't like to annoy the people I was calling as well possibly make them upset.  I, myself, got very upset and spent several nights crying when I would have to make phone calls. 

What do you think?  
Are you one to make Harmony, or do you like to provoke debate just to do it?  
Do you know someone with harmony as a strength, and do you enjoy being around them or do you find them frustrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment