Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

So, There's This Boy...


All last week Facebook was reminding me that my anniversary was yesterday (Sunday, April 10th) which is all well and good, but how could I forget the day that my life completely changed?!  I actually found it quite humorous that it was giving me a warning for an entire week that my anniversary was approaching, I mean, they don't even give you that much warning for birthdays.  It's usually just the day of that it says, "Hey, its 'so-in-so' birthday!"  Well, maybe Facebook is trying to create a world where no one forgets things like anniversaries.  But whatever...

Anyway, "So, there's this boy..."

I don't know how many times I hear these words!  It's kind of fun and exciting because I know where the conversation is going to head.  Here I am, an experienced married woman (HA!) giving advice to lots of different awesome women!  But I think it's funny that most of the time it starts of with those exact same four words, "So, there's this boy..."  Now, if you're reading this and have said those four words to me, thank you for feeling safe enough around me to talk to me about it...I really do appreciate that you value my opinion ;-).

I think that I'm so excited when people (especially girls) want to talk to me about relationships because i remember sitting in those exact same shoes.  I remember back in 2007 when I sat down with my VERY good friend and said, "So, there's this boy....His name is Lucas."  When I hear those words I hope that they'll find the love that I have found in Lucas. 

But often times not too long later (in some cases anyway) the "So, there's this boy" turns into..."AHHH!!  I hate boys!"  Which gives me the opportunity to minister in a different way.  I can be the comforter and the person who sits and listens as often the tears come. 

So, here is my advice to the, "So, there's this boy..." group:

Take your time...if he's the right guy he'll come to you.  Be sure to pray about him and you, both as individuals and as a possible couple, but ALWAYS keep God in the conversation...OK, you don't have to be one of those couples who is always like, "Hey Babe, wasn't Romans so amazing today!  Paul is..." and that's all you ever talk about, but God should be the foundation of your relationship/

And for the, "AHHH!! I hate boys!" crowd:

Take your time...the right guy will come to you.  Be sure to pray about him and you, both as individuals and as a future couple!  Yes, pray for your future love...ask God to be making you exactly who God wants you to be for him and pray that God will be making him exactly who God wants him to be for you.

That's my advice...you know from that very experience, 1 year married, 25 year old woman (who still acts like a kid!)
This was from our wedding...Two becoming One with Christ (the White sand on the bottom) being the foundation of our relationship     

So, tell me about your boy, girl or your current great dislike of the opposite sex. :-)

 

1 comment:

  1. I think you have it exactly right. Back when The Man and I met (as dancers at OSU), we began our relationship as friends. We were friends for a long time before either of us dared to uttered those famous words, "So there's this guy/girl..." Months later, still just friends, I had nearly reached the end of my rope waiting for him to hold my hand or put his arm around me or anything.

    After years of failed relationships--all for various reasons--I turned to God in my frustration and asked Him, just this once, if he would help me find the patience to let The Man make the first move, to allow The Man to set the pace and course of our relationship. "Please don't let me screw this up, I really like him."

    That was three years ago (oddly, almost to the day). In that three years, my eyes have been opened more each day to both Christ's love and that very special love between a husband and wife.

    ReplyDelete