Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sciuridae...esquirel...skiouros - aka SQUIRREL



I really like squirrels. I think that they are fascinating!  It is one of the things I miss the most now that I'm no longer a student at Oregon State.  If you're a student there, or have ever been to OSU, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  The squirrels there were so friendly and EVERYWHERE.  They would run up to people, but never actually let you close enough to touch them.  Anyway, Squirrels are the one thing in my life that seem to be a constant.

That may see strange, but here is what I mean.  Some of my earliest memories growing up are when I lived in a city called McMinnville, and I remember seeing the squirrels run along the telephone wires outside our house.  Then when we moved I remember seeing some (not nearly as many) at our new place, but then when I started attending Oregon State, my love for them grew.  I like any type of squirrel too: grey ones, brown ones, ones that live in the ground and the ones that live in the trees.
This is Matt's Squirrel

You might be wondering why I'm writing about this.  Well, they have been coming up even more now!  First of all, one of my friends at work, Matt, has a little squirrel that sits on his desk.  His name is "Matt's Squirrel" (and you can follow him on Twitter) and he loves the book Imaginary Jesus.  This little guy has been everywhere, he helps us out in the office and even enjoys lunch with us.  So that's one reason.  The second is my Youth Group AFTERSHOCK back home has "Squirrel Moments" to the point that we put them on a shirt! Or maybe it's because Matt (the same guy I mentioned earlier) says I like squirrels because it's sounds kind of like my last name.
 
(This is a squirrel moment)

No, I like squirrels because they are curious and dedicated.  Two qualities that I find enduring.  We have a bird feeder in our back yard, and so far I think the squirrels have eaten more of the food than the birds.  We've tried lots of things to keep them off the feeder, but they still find a way to get to the food.  Even now, they're picking up the seed that falls to the ground.  They can run up the tree with my dog Jack right on their tail and never miss a beat.  I wish I were like that.  I wish I were persistent when it comes to things I want to see happen.  I often try once, fail and give up.  Squirrels don't do that.  Plus, I like their big bushy tails! ;-)

I looked up squirrels on Wikipedia and realized that one thing that squirrels do is help to plant trees.  That's right, they are one of God's foresters! According to the Wikipedia article, Squirrels have trouble finding food in the early spring because all of those nuts that they buried earlier are sprouting and growing.  Plus, how does a squirrel remember where they put all of those nuts?

Here are a couple videos of just how smart squirrels are! Enjoy!




I think we can learn a lot from squirrels, even if you don't like them.  Here are a few things I've learned:
1) Be persistent - God created us for a purpose and if we give up we might be missing out on something great!
2) Be sure to plant - We're called to plant God's word.  You never know, maybe some of those seeds we plant will sprout and grow, which is awesome, even if we don't get to receive the benefit.
3) Balance and concentration are important - If you take your eyes off of the branch you're leaping to you might miss and fall (which isn't so bad if your a flying squirrel).
4) Having a big fluffy tail is awesome!

Do you like squirrels? What's your favorite animal that you learn life lessons from?

1 comment:

  1. Love it Katie. Squirrels are rather cute. I had never thought of those lessons from squirrels before. But now that you point them out, they sure are there.

    ReplyDelete