Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Ice Cream Meltdown

Chances are you know me, if you don't, well, I'm sure you're starting to feel like you do if you read this often. If you do know me and we've shared a meal together in the last 4 years you know that it is always a production when I want to eat.  It's not by a choice or me just being picky; trust me, I used to be picky, I'm not anymore. I'm such a bear to eat a meal with because I have Celiacs Disease.

I can't believe that I haven't actually written about this much before, but I don't think I have.  I'm just thinking about it because for the first time in quite a while I realized that Lucas has never known me as a non-Celiac, and this week it became apparent. 

As I mentioned, I used to be picky.  I wouldn't eat so many things.  I hated (and still do for the most part) fish, egg plant and cooked mushrooms, for example.  But now there are things that I didn't use to like that I'm starting to enjoy simply because if I don't eat that, there's not a whole lot else I can eat like onions and cooked tomatoes.  But here is a story that made me feel like a terrible person, but at the same time I find quite humorous.

I asked Lucas to go to the store after he got a haircut.  He went to this place that we have been before that has an extensive gluten free section, which is awesome!  When he got home he started showing me some of the things that he had gotten for me, which included gluten free instant gravy mix! However, he also told me that he got me a surprise, but that I would have to wait until after dinner.  

I couldn't wait to see what he got.  We finished dinner and were watching TV for a bit when he said he was going to fix me my surprise but I had to close my eyes, which I did.  He came back in the living room and put something in my hand and when I opened my eyes I saw an ice cream cone.  

An ice cream cone
I looked at the cone and then I looked up at Lucas and said, "I can't eat ice cream cones." And he had a big grin on his face and said, "These are Gluten Free!"  I looked back at the cone and then back at him and said, "I don't like ice cream cones." 

In that moment I could see his heart sink.  Here was my husband trying to do something super sweet and super nice for me, and I couldn't even accept his gift with a happy heart because just I didn't like it.  He explained how when he saw them he figured I'd be really excited about it because I couldn't have had a cone in over 4 years now.  I apologized for hurting his feelings and explained how when I was little could never eat them fast enough and the cone was always soggy by the time I got to it and so I never wanted to eat it.  

I told him I would try it though.  But then, like a 3 year old, I had to ask how I'm supposed to eat it! I was a sticky mess after just a couple minutes.  But I ate it and the cone didn't taste half bad.  I realized after this happened that there was no way that Lucas would have ever known that I didn't like ice cream cones.  I'd never been able to eat them for as long as he knew me.  How could I expect him to know what I don't like.  He's not my family who has known for YEARS how much I dislike ice cream cones.  

But the ones we had weren't bad, so I'll have to try one again.  It's just helping me keep in perspective how little Lucas and I know about each other even after being married for a year-plus.  We get to keep learning new things about one another and grow together.  I'm excited for what else I learn about him and what he learns about me!

Has something like this ever happened to you before?
What is something awesome/weird that you just learned about someone you love?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, that just happened to me this weekend! The Man was super awesome and bought me a miniature rose plant. He thought it was more practical than cut flowers, plus I get lots more blooms with a plant than with flowers. He's so thoughtful!

    I felt like a complete jerk telling him that I didn't want the plant. Miniature roses don't last very well in pots, and we don't have land in which to plant it, so its days were numbered. I had to let him down super gently and explain that it isn't a good indoor plant and that I've really been wanting a Kalanchoe, so could we please exchange it?

    He tried so hard, and I was so thankful, but it just wasn't the right fit. That's pretty much a no-win situation, right? Ugh.

    On the bright side, I did the swap and have a huge-mongous Kalanchoe in my office now that adds a bright pop of hot pink. And apparently it's an idiot-proof plant, but that remains to be determined...

    ReplyDelete