Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

My Hero

This week has been a very sad one for me and my family.  Early Wednesday morning (around 2:30am), my mom called me to tell me that my Grandpa was in the hospital and then a half hour later she called me to tell me that he was gone.  My grandpa and I had a very special relationship.  We were each others Heroes.  We called each other this because we went to Silver Falls State Park many many years ago.  I was holding his and when I slipped, and he caught me.  I looked up at him and said, "Grandpa, you're my Hero!"  A little while later on our walk, he "slipped" as well and I caught him and he in return said, "Katie, you're my Hero!"  Ever since then he's has truly been my hero.

Not only was my grandpa my hero, but he was an amazing and wonderful man of God.  His dream and desire was that everyone would come to know Jesus as their personal savior.  He was an amazing husband of 62 years, father of 4 children, grandfather and great-grandfather.  I know that he is now farming his orchard in Heaven with Jesus, and I can't wait until we get to pick tangerines and go for walks again, only this time with the Lord as well.

Please be praying for my family as we miss my grandpa's presence here on earth.  We will be traveling to San Diego for a Celebration of Life on the 23rd.

The Lord has really blessed me through this, with an amazing group of people around me to help me through this time.  One of my co-workers reminded me of this with me on Wednesday, Hebrews 12:1-3:
  1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
 I know my Grandpa is in that great cloud of witnesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment